Anna university results

Thursday 28 May 2015

Tell me about yourself

Tell me about yourself.              

This is usually the first question asked because it is a good icebreaker.  You should not use this open-ended question to offer useless information about your hobbies and home life.  Many people will make the mistake of saying, "I'm 32 years old, married, and the mother of three children aged 5, 7 and 9.  My hobbies are knitting, cycling, reading and . . . blah blah blah."  This is not a good answer. 

A good answer to this question is about two minutes long and focuses on work-related skills and accomplishments.  Tell the interviewer why you think your work-related skills and accomplishments would be an asset to the company.     You could describe your education and work history (be brief) and then mention one or two personal character traits and tell the interviewer how the traits helped you accomplish a task at school or work.  Do not describe yourself with tired old clichés such as "I am a team player," "I have excellent communication skills," unless you can prove it with an illustration.  For example, one might say  "I would describe myself as a self-starter.  At Acme Corporation, there was a problem with . . . so I created a new inventory system (give details) that reduced expenses 30 percent."

Someone with a new degree in an IT field might answer this question as follows:  "I have enjoyed working with computers since I was eight years old and have always been adept as using them.  Throughout junior high and high school, friends and relatives were always asking me for help with their computer problems, so no one was surprised when I chose to major in IT at college.  I spent hundreds of hours at the computer learning everything I could about them and how they worked.  A few years ago I became particularly interested in software development and began formulating ideas for new software that would really help consumers. I even developed plans for a few applications on my own.  [Discuss the plans briefly.]  I've also worked on several college teams and as an intern at Acme developing software.  [Offer highlights of work experience in software development.] I would like to continue working in this particular area very much. That’s why I applied for a position with your company.  You're one of the leaders in software development and I want to work in a company where I can really be challenged and make a difference.  I also really like the products you've developed.  I think they're some of the best on the market and I would very much enjoy working to improve and enhance these products even further and create new software as well."  

Where do you see yourself in five years?  

Assume that you will be promoted two or three times in five years, so your answer should state that you see yourself working at whatever job is two or three levels above the job in which you are applying.  Do not claim that you will be "running the company" in five years.  You might want to add that you understand your promotions will be earned through hard work and that you do not assume you will be promoted just because you stayed with the company.   Good answer:  "I see myself as head of the Sales Department in five years.  I've already proven that I have the ability to manage a large sales staff at Acme, and I expect that I will be promoted to a senior management position in the future provided that I work very hard at my job and earn the promotions, which I expect to do."

  Are you willing to relocate?    

If relocating were not an issue, the interviewer would not be asking the question.  Therefore, the only acceptable answer is "Yes."  If you answer in the negative, you will not get the job.  If you really do not want to relocate, then perhaps you should not accept the job if it is subsequently offered to you.  If you are not sure, then ask questions about relocation, such as when it is likely to occur, where you will relocate to, and would it involve a promotion.  

Are you willing to travel?  

If traveling were not part of the job, the interviewer would not be asking this question. Therefore, the only acceptable answer is "yes".   If you are willing to travel, answer yes and give some illustrations of work travel you have done.  However, if you do not want to travel, you should find out more about this aspect of the job before accepting the position, such as how much travel will be involved, where will you be traveling to and for how long.  

Are you willing to work overtime?  

If this wasn't an aspect of the job, the interviewer wouldn't be asking this question.  Therefore, the only acceptable answer is "yes" if you want to be considered for the job.  If your past jobs involved overtime, now would be the time to tell this to the interviewer.  

 What book are you currently reading (or what was the last book you read)?  What were the last three books that you read?  

The only correct answer is to offer the title of a nonfiction book, preferably one that is on a subject related to your career or business in general.  For example, if you are a sales person, tell the reader you're currently in the middle of, "Selling for Dummies." Alternatively, if that seems too much of a cliché, offer the title of a book on improving your time management, personality, efficiency, etc.  Of course, we are not suggesting that you lie and claim to be reading a book that you aren't really reading.    As part of your job search, you will have to start reading one or two acceptable books so that you can intelligently discuss them if the subject is brought up during an interview.  The interviewer might ask you how the book is helping you (what you have learned from it), so have an answer ready.  Some interviewers will try to determine if you regularly read by asking you for titles of 3-5 books you've read this year, so be ready.  



What is the last movie that you saw?    

Replying that you "don't have time to watch movies as you are completely devoted to your job" is not a good answer and will not win you any points, even if the interviewer was dumb enough to believe you.  Interviewers are looking for well-rounded people who enjoy healthy activities, such as relaxation and entertainment, and will expect you to state the name of a movie.  The movie title that you give in reply to this question should always be one that is popular with the general public, but uncontroversial, meaning that it doesn't have any negative or zealous political or religious overtones.  Also, don't reveal the fact that you spend way too much time watching movies by stating you have seen a particular movie 15 times or that you spend too much time watching movies.   For example, don't tell the interviewer that you are obsessed with Star Trek movies and regularly attend Star Trek conventions dressed up as Mr. Spock.  A well-known uncontroversial movie, popular with the general public, and one that the interviewer is likely to have seen, is always a good choice.

What are your hobbies and interests outside of work?  

The interviewer is trying to find out (1) more about whom you are and (2) if you maintain an interest in a particular subject for a long period.  You should not indicate that you change hobbies frequently or have a problem maintaining an interest in one subject over a long period.  A good answer might be, "I have been interested in genealogy for the past five years. I am currently the President of the Adams County Genealogical Society and we meet once a month to exchange research tips.  So far, I have discovered that I am the descendent of two civil war generals and Thomas Edison as well.  It's very interesting, but I don't have much time with my busy schedule to do much research now, but I plan to spend much more time doing research after I retire."   Answers that reveal participation in sports are also good:  "For the past five years I have been an avid racquetball player.  I've competed in a dozen or so competitions and I've won a few."  Of course, you do not want to reveal any hobby or activity that most people would consider strange, such as "I collect potato chips that look like celebrities" or "I collect the autographs of convicted serial killers." 

What do you like to watch on television?

In answering this question, one should not appear too silly or too arrogant.  Therefore, avoid revealing the fact that you have seen every episode of the Brady Bunch 200 times or that you race home from work everyday to hear the Gilligan's Island theme song.   Don't swing the other way and claim that you never watch television or only watch PBS and C-SPAN because they will know you're lying or think you are weird or boring.  The best answer reveals that you do watch television, but you watch respectable, very popular programs such as "Law and Order" or "CSI."  Never admit to being a coach potato who sits in front of the TV five hours every day.

Good answer 1:  "I don't watch that much television.  I try to catch the news everyday, I like to watch the political programs on Sunday mornings, and football in the fall.  "60 Minutes" is probably my favorite program.  My family and I usually find a movie to watch on Saturday and Sunday nights.  Sometimes we rent a few movies on weekends, but I don't really have any favorite programs I watch consistently every week."


Good answer 2:  "I enjoy watching "Friends" just like millions of other Americans.  I get together with six or so friends at a pizza place on Thursday nights and we watch it together.  I rent a few movies on most weekends, and I do try to catch the news every morning when I'm getting ready for work.  I don't have that much time for television because I work and go to school full time.  And the last thing I want to do after sitting all day in class and at work is to come home and sit some more in front of a television.  In my free time, I usually go to the gym, walk my dog and spend time with my friends and family rather than watch television." 

No comments:

Post a Comment